Saturday, March 19, 2016

A Return to Normalcy

Long time no see! I hope you all had a great spring break--I sure did. But this week marks a return to the museum where I have been interning, and it felt great to be back.

To get this out of the way first, below are a few pictures that I promised from the previous blog post:



The description here is too small to make out, but if you'd like more information on the project you can visit http://streetpianos.com/mesa2016/. 

The first picture above is of the piano that sits directly in front of the i.d.e.a. Museum. As you can see, it's pretty fancifully decorated, as are all of the pianos in this art project. I'm not sure if the coordinator of the project took the location of each piano into account when deciding where to place which, but I often wonder if the piano we got was reinforced, as I mainly see younger kids banging on it. And I only say this because I doubt pianos in other locations get so much wear and tear. 

Below that image is a large chalkboard-esque mural that seems portable as I did see this when I visited the Mesa Performing Arts Center two weeks ago. I believe that it's covered in different people's feelings on the pianos, and based on the change in locations, I think it also accompanies different pianos at different times. I particularly like this piece because of the giant and seemingly random pug head, but to see a physical manifestation of Mesa's affection for the pianos is a powerful reminder of just how far-reaching the project is, even if you see the mural next to only one piano. I would say that this is a great companion piece to the pianos, especially if it is circulating among them. I'll let you know if it's still there next week!

In other news, while at the museum I've had the opportunity to work increasingly close with visitors. More specifically, I help with tour groups coming through, assisting with the educators in the ocean-themed gallery and especially helping out with the ocean activity, which is a variation of the printing that was done in the earlier Hokusai class. Besides that, I've helped out with the odd class or two as well as the spring break program that was occurring this week (for some reason, Mesa's spring break is a week later than the Scottsdale one).

A child's "bubble" project from the spring break program.
A coral prototype I made for a class. 
Aside from that, I've picked up a book from the museum library on Keith Haring, who just so happens to be a prolific public artist. For next week's post, I might do an exploration into process and legacy, as a lot of his work embodied an extremely straightforward principle of egalitarian public art. 

And finally, I'm deciding whether or not to survey people at the museum on public art. Since many of the frequenters are children, the responses would mainly consist of parents and teachers, which could prove interesting. Please let me know what you think in the comments! 

As always, thank you for reading, and see you next week. 





6 comments:

  1. I think that a survey is a great idea! What questions would you ask and how could you make the survey friendly towards a lay person? For example, would you ask whether or not the piano exhibit was something that residents would like to see more of? Is there a way that you could modify the survey for children? Maybe ask what they think "art" is? Maybe give an example and ask whether or not the item is "art"? Just ideas!

    By the way, I want to come to the museum and take one of your classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those all sound like great ideas I could incorporate into a survey! I also may touch on more artwork itself rather than philosophies behind public art, as that can become a bit dense. I'd also like to ask opinions on the role that public art, and perhaps creating art as well, can play in education.

      Delete
  2. Having just sent out a survey myself, I second your idea for a survey. There's always surprising results, changing your expectations. It might be interesting to ask the children visitors if seeing the piano displays inclined them to want to learn to play the piano, making playing the piano more accessible and less intimidating. Additionally, you will probably get a high response rate from teachers and parents because, as visitors to the museum, there have already shown an interest in public art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true! And tying in the survey to something that the visitors have already interacted with will probably make them more likely to fill out a survey in the first place. Thanks for your response, Lauren!

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of a survey too, but I think you should ask the children as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good idea, and I would have to tailor it towards two different age groups. A multiple choice survey would likely work over a fill-in answer survey in that case.

      Delete